[one-users] Communication channel between users and developers

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Mon Apr 29 09:05:01 PDT 2013

Hi Javier,

> You may use the development portal <http://dev.opennebula.org/> to make
feature requests, just open a new issue and label it as Request.
> The issue will be used to track the discussions about the new feature. We
try to contact you as soon as possible
> to have more information and to give you a first feedback about your
request.

I am not a big fan of using the development portal / bug tracking tool for
sending / discussing feature request. I favour a regular mailing list ex.
dev@ list where anyone that wish to receive upcoming feature can subscribe.
Perhaps the dev@ list could receive a copy of any new feature requests
that's opened / updated in the development portal. If we want to make sure
everything gets tracked in the development portal, make the list read only
and force users to submit updates though the portal. Or, make it possible
to easily receive notifications of new "features" requests (such as an RSS
feed) and make sure issues are properly categorized (one may not want to
receive general users / unconfirmed bugs or support requests).

Also I think the users@ list could be for general support / users
discussion. Any new features or patches could be discussed in a separate
dev@ list. Also perhaps the ecosystem@ list could be renamed to something
more meaningful, at one point it wasn't clear for me if ecosystem@ was for
general development discussions.

>At the beginning of each release cycle we organize a IRC meeting<http://opennebula.org/community:irc> to
discuss the requests for new features and for extending
> existing features. This valuable input to the planning meeting is used to
create the short-term roadmap with the features that
> will be part of the release cycle. The final roadmap is described in a
blog post after the planning meeting.

+1 !! :-)

Simon