[one-users] [Docs] Problem with OpenVSwitch and some questions about Ceph

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed Apr 10 04:01:00 PDT 2013

Hi,

> I know that previous versions of opennebula required openvswitch-brcompat
>

> http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:openvswitch#hosts_configuration
>
> but the 4.0 docs seem to indicate that with KVM brcompat is not required:
>

> http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.0:openvswitch#ovswitch_and_ovswitch_brcompat
>
> Anyway, I did install the openvswitch-brcompat package, but got the same
> error.
> (looking at the docs now, it seems that you have to tell the OpenNebula to
> use a different openvswitch driver,
> specifically openvswitch_brcompat, so I think this test may have been
> incomplete)

Yes, brcompat is now no longer required, and we recommend that if you're
using kvm/libvirt you shouldn't enable the brcompat module

> Then I attempted to run the ovs command at the command line, when I do so,
> I get the following error:
>
> >> root at loki:~# sudo /usr/bin/ovs-ofctl add-flow ovsbr0
> in_port=,dl_src=02:00:44:47:83:44,priority=40000,actions=normal
> >> ovs-ofctl: dl_src=02:00:44:47:83:44: bad syntax for in_port
>
> I think this might be the root cause of the issue?  Where is "in_port"
> defined?
> I don't see it in the onevnet template, but that doesn't mean I didn't
> just miss it.

Exactly, that's the root cause, the in_port is not being found correctly. I
propose you do this to figure things out:

1) (in the worker node i.e. 'loki')
disable /var/lib/one/remotes/vnm/ovswitch/post by adding exit 0 at line 2
of that script
2) launch the virtual machine, it should get to running
3) do virsh dumpxml one-<vmid>
4) this bit of code should be able to extract the tap interface from the
previous output:
https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/blob/master/src/vnm_mad/remotes/OpenNebulaNic.rb#L59
(get_tap
for the NicKVM class)
can you try so manually extracting that bit of code and providing the info
it needs see if it's working correctly?
Otherwise, you can figure it out manually, we're looking for something like
vnetX (let's call that <vnet>)
5) finally, do
$ sudo ovs_ofctl dump-ports ovsbr0 <vnet>

> But this seems less than ideal.  Also, I think the incorrect syntax is the
> root cause of the issue, if there are other issues.

We recommend doing it like this:
oneadmin    ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/ovs-ofctl

cheers,
Jaime

--
Jaime Melis