[one-users] Resource Overcommit / Provisioning Limitations

Jon three18ti at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 15:18:47 PDT 2013

Hello All,

I'm only able to provision resources up to 750 / 800 CPU and 7GB / 7.8GB.
VMs provisioned after this limit has been reached causes the VMs to stay in
"pend" status until vms are turned off or destroyed.  Even though 7GB has
been provisioned, I'm hardly using 2G.

>> HOST SHARES

>> TOTAL MEM             : 7.8G
>> USED MEM (REAL)       : 1.9G
>> USED MEM (ALLOCATED)  : 7G
>> TOTAL CPU             : 800
>> USED CPU (REAL)       : 44
>> USED CPU (ALLOCATED)  : 750
>> RUNNING VMS           : 10

How can I configure OpenNebula to allow overcommit of resources?

I see in the host template, there are free/totalmem and free/totalcpu
parameters:

>> FREECPU="756.0"
>> FREEMEMORY="6152516"
>> TOTALCPU="800"
>> TOTALMEMORY="8169164"

I can edit these in SunStone, but it doesn't seem to have an effect.  As
they are monitoring attributes, I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place.

Thanks for the advice,
Jon A