[one-users] Suggestion of possibility feature

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Thu Sep 20 02:51:23 PDT 2012

Hi Jan,

Comments inline

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Jan Benadik <jan.benadik at atos.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I suggest to implement a feature in some next release:
>
> - time frame defined running state (when VM is deployed, it can be
> specified to run and stop it at certain time, i.e. start daily at 6.00 AM
> and stop 20.00 PM in working days only OR deployment of VM for time limited
> period - i.e. 2 months - and after that period VM will be stopped / deleted
> automatically).

This is a good idea, I've opened a ticket [1] and we'll consider it for
next releases.
It could be implemented adding new attributes to the VMs, and the scheduler
would simply compare the requested deployment/shutdown time with the
current date.

- more detailed granularity for oneacct reports (number of minutes VM is
> running, number of CPU cores)

This information is already available, although it requires some scripting.
oneacct was designed to be used to extract raw accounting data from
opennebula, to be as flexible as possible. The downside to it is that it
requires some processing to make use of the data.

The specific example you propose can be done in ruby parsing the json
output of oneacct:

j = JSON.parse(`oneacct -j`)

puts "oid,minutes_running,cpus"

j['HISTORY_RECORDS']['HISTORY'].each do |h|
    puts "#{h['OID']},"<<
        "#{(h['ETIME'].to_i - h['STIME'].to_i)/60},"<<
        "#{h['VM']['TEMPLATE']['CPU']}"
end

# oid,minutes_running,cpus
# 0,132,1
# 1,131,1
# 2,131,1
# 3,131,1
# 4,131,1
# 5,130,1

I'm aware that this script takes some familiarity with the OpenNebula data
structures, so maybe we could make things easier...
The first thing that comes to mind is to add an option to customize the
table, something like
'oneacct --columns VID,CPU,MEMORY'

This could be combined with new columns that require some processing, like
RUNNING_TIME.

What do you think about this? What other values should we add?

- export in csv format (or - at least - data column in data format ...)

We'll add a --csv option [2], seems useful and should be easy to do.

Thanks for your feedback!
Carlos

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1483
[2] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1484