[one-users] Openvswitch GRE

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Sep 20 02:21:07 PDT 2012

Hi Ricardo,

I do not have any expirience myself configuring a GRE port in openvswitch.
I went through the documentation and it seems that it should not be very
different from setting VLAN port.

>From an opennebula stand point, you may need to configure the GRE tunnels
as part of the host configuration. Once the tunnels are set up between the
hosts you need to add the VM interfaces, this is done by the hypervisor.
So, let say that bridge br1 is the gateway with the GRE tunnel. You may
simply need to define the network with BRIDGE=br0 and dummy network drivers.

If you need to do some management operations on the bridges you may hook on
the pre/post scripts .

Hope it helps

Cheers

Ruben

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Sándor Guba <gubasanyi at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI.
>
> In my opinion VLAN tagged network is (still) supported better in
> OpenNebula. I found this how-to with OpenVSwitch GRE tunnel that looks
> good for a start.
> http://networkstatic.net/open-vswitch-gre-tunnel-configuration/
>
> 2012/9/18 Ricardo Duarte <rjtd21 at hotmail.com>:
> > Hi there,
> >

> > Does anyone has some guidance on how to modify OpenNebula to support GRE
> > tunnel instead of VLANs, when using Openvswitch?
> > What I'm trying to do is to create isolated networks that span my
> multiple
> > OpenNebula hosts, without adding the VLAN range to the uplinks of my
> > servers.
> > As far as I know, GRE should allow me to do that. Is there any other
> > alternative that works out of the box for OpenNebula (except ebtables,
> as I
> > may want to use the same ip ranges for those different networks)?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Ricardo

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect