[one-users] The type of processor required for OpenNebula setup

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Wed Sep 19 07:09:40 PDT 2012

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Qiubo Su (David Su) wrote:

> Dear OpenNebula Team,
>
> I want to download OpenNebula and see there are options like OpenNebula
> 3.2.1 Ubuntu 10.0.4 amd64 and OpenNebula 3.2.1 CentOS 6.0 x86_64.
>
> For OpenNebula 3.2.1 Ubuntu 10.0.4 amd64, we have to buy AMD processor, but
> for OpenNebula 3.2.1 CentOS 6.0 x86_64, what type of processor should we
> buy?
>
> Thanks,
> Q.S.

Just becuase the kernel name says "amd64" in it doesn't mean that
the kernel can only run on AMD processors--it is the Ubuntu way of
designating the "64-bit" extensions of the x86 architecture which
were first done by AMD and shortly afterwards by Intel.  "amd64" packaging
can run on either one.

CentOS "x86_64" kernel can run on either processor AMD or Intel too. For
my money I would buy the Intel, my experience shows that the
intel southbridge and chipsets play better with virtualization
particularly with networking.

Also see what the others said about checking the compatibility flags
in /proc/cpuinfo.

Steve

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
timm at fnal.gov  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Group Leader.
Lead of FermiCloud project.