[one-users] User data and Elastic IP with Sunstone

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Tue Sep 11 02:13:14 PDT 2012

Hi Ricardo

I'd say that the current functionality let you implement pretty-much
the Elastic IP, with a few missing things.

1.- ec2-allocate-address is somehow mimic by the virtual network. You
can create a vnet with the set of public IP addresses assigned to an
user or a group or a set of users (through ACLs). You can also control
how many IP's can be leased by a user or group from that net with the
quota system. Additionally the sysadmin can add more leases to the
onevnet. You may need to put some logic in place if you want to
atutomate the extra allocation of IPs (but as far as I know this is
the case for EC2, you have 5 and if you need more you have to ask for
them).

2.- ec2-describe-addresses are provided by onevnet list and onevnet
show commands. You can check the public IPs available to you, how many
are allocated...

3.- ec2-associate-address this have to be done when the VM is
instantiated with NIC = [ NETWORK="Elasticnet", IP="<specific_IP>"].
It is not possible to associate the IP to another instance.

IMHO the core functionality for ElasticIP is there, i.e. define a
limited set of public IPs that a user can associate to her VMs.

We are missing the dynamic part of it, though. This will probably come
when the dynamic hotplugging of NICs is implmented, as we probably
will need to associate and disassociate leases to a VM.

Cheers

Ruben

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Ricardo Duarte <rjtd21 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As far as I can see, elastic IPs and userdata are only supported through the
> econe interface.
> Are there any plans to add the same functionality to Sunstone and the cli?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricardo

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect