[one-users] openvswitch and brcompat in the post3.3 world

christopher barry cbarry at rjmetrics.com
Thu Sep 13 14:05:44 PDT 2012

greetings,

what's the plan for using openvswitch in the future, without requiring
brcompat?

while I can compile openvswitch master for use with my 3.5 kernel, the
brcompat has issues:

modprobe brcompat
FATAL: Error inserting brcompat
(/lib/modules/3.5.1/kernel/net/openvswitch/brcompat.ko): Unknown symbol
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg: brcompat: Unknown symbol ovs_dp_ioctl_hook (err 0)

...and it seems as though the idea is to move away from bridge
compatibility anyway.

I have made this error known upstream to the ovs developers, but have
not heard back as of yet.

but back to the longer term plan, is it just some scripts that need to
change to use ovs without brcompat?

Regards,
-C