[one-users] What is the point of 'chmod +s' on vmkfstools and 'vim-cmd' for VMware hosts?

Matthew Patton mpatton at inforelay.com
Wed Sep 5 14:33:00 PDT 2012

per http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.6:evmwareg there are 2
recommendations to make these binaries setuid/setgid root. Now I can
readily guess that the former is so that the command can run unimpeded on
all mounted filesystems which are naturally owned root:root. And the
latter is because 'vim-cmd' will need root to change the host environment
be it mounts, devices, adn interfaces.

One problem. The changes don't survive a reboot you know... (esxi)

The right way to do this is to add 'oneadmin's public ssh key to root's
and ssh in directly. Or cobble up a rc.local that re-applies 'chmod +s'
every time the box boots. I vote for the former.

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)