[one-users] ONE SaveAS behaviour

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Oct 17 03:38:54 PDT 2012

hi

First let me clarify that the design of OpenNebula does not make any
assumption on the workload that the VMs will run, and it is totally
agnostic to it. I dare to say that OpenNebula is as well suited for HPC as
for enterprise or service provider clouds if not even more...

Individually persistence as described in your email is totally
supported, power off / stop / reboot / power on / suspend / resume
operations will move disk images (along with the VM state) through your
clusters and hosts, so individually preserving its state. (This was in
place since 3.2, am I missing something here?)

What happen if one of the users make a change to the VM state (e.g.
installs and configure new software) and is so important that  she wants to
keep it, to persist beyond the VM life cycle, to even share it with others.
In this case you can transform an individually persistent disk image to a
globally persistent one.

Think of the EBS persistance model of Amazon EC2

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/concepts-spot-instances-applications-ebs.html

Best

Ruben

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM, deeepdish <deeepdish at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Everyone,
>
> Can someone please explain the concept, requirement and rationale behind
> the SAVEAS operation on a virtual machine instance.   I've evaluated ONE
> 3.2 and a bit of 3.4 so my information may be slightly dated.   ONE seems
> to be a very robust environment, highly flexible and customizable and
> simple to deploy and operate.   However I'm struggling to figure out why
> would one ever need to "SAVE" an instance when deploying it.   Given a
> cloud application, either enterprise or service provider, I would imagine
> that any customer provisioned instance would be persistent (I have to be
> careful how I use persistent -- I mean, once it's deployed, it can be
> stopped, rebooted, started, etc with out loosing any data -- i.e. without
> have to have the template redeployed).   Granted, there may be a
> requirement for this process flow.   Is there a way or feature in the works
> to alter this behavior?
>
> My requirement is simple:
>
> - Create standard templates;
> - Customers login, pick the templates they like and deploy them.
> - Once deployed, the instances are individually persistent (meaning they
> are around as long as the customer does not destroy them).
> - The customer can power off / stop / reboot / power on / suspend / resume
> their instance as they wish without impacting or affecting any changes made
> to the instance since deployment (i.e. individually persistent).
>
> Think VMware, Cloudstack.
>
> ONE seems like a good platform, but the above has always puzzled me.   It
> looks like a great platform for high performance computing, perhaps not for
> an enterprise or service provider cloud.   Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect