[one-users] Can't log on into Windows XP virtual machine

Hoàng Thái Xuân Khoa htxuankhoa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:25:14 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I use OpenNebula 3.6 & Ubuntu 12.04 (desktop & server). I was
successfully deploy & log on into ttylinux virtual machine. After that,
I decided deploy Windows XP to cluster nodes, the WinXP virtual machine
in "runn" state. But, when I try to log on into Windows XP after
deployed via OpenNebula, I got the error:
"Boot failed: could not boot into hard disk.
Fatal error: no bootable device".

So, I decided to log on Windows XP not via OpenNebula, I used this command:
kvm -m 1024 /path/to/WinXP.img
and I successfully logged on Windows XP and used it normally. I don't
understand why? Why when i used OpenNebula to deploy to cluster nodes,
it's state is "runn" but i can't log on. Can someone give me a hint for
this problem?

I installed Windows XP by these command:
qemu-img create -f raw WinXP.img 6G
kvm -cdrom /path/toWinXP.iso -m 1024 -boot d /path/to/WinXP.img

This is my image template & virtual machine template:

// IMAGE TEMPLATE
NAME = "WinXP"
PATH = /path/to/WinXP.img
TYPE = OS
PUBLIC = YES
RESTRICTED_DIRS = "/etc/"
DESCRIPTION = "WinXP for testing purpose when using OpenNebula to deploy
a private cloud."

// WINXP VIRTUAL MACHINE TEMPLATE
NAME = WinXP
CPU = 1