[one-users] VM description/comment

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Tue Oct 23 09:23:54 PDT 2012

On 23 October 2012 14:31, <knawnd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Ruben,
>
> first of all, sorry for delay with reply!
> Please, see my comments inline.
>
> Ruben S. Montero wrote on 19/10/12 00:34:
>
>  Hi Ricardo + Nikolay
>>
>> You are right, one thing we have in our short roadmap is to add a generic
>> metada section for VMs. This metadata could be updated using the *update*
>> functionality currently present for other commands.
>>
> sounds encouraging! Is any information when such feature is planned to be
> implemented?
>

>  Just to give you the rationale behind not having this yet. As you
>> probably know the VM template is extended once the VM created with control
>> data (e.g. DISK_ID's, specifric LEASES, SOURCE for DISK...) for obvious
>> reasons we do not want a user to modify this.
>>
> seems reasonable
>
>  So we will split this in two, one for the control data and other to be
>> used/modified by the user.
>>
>> For now, as Nikolay suggests this limit somehow part of the
>> out-of-the-box functionality (e.g. adding DESCRIPTION in  a bulk
>> submission), this functionality will need a custom program using OCA. About
>> parsing the out put of onevm show, note that you can always get the full
>> pool information with onevm list -x  (TEMPLATE included) the onevm list
>> command just parse and pick some of this info and present it in a tabular
>> form...
>>
> Thanks a lot for detailed reply and explanations!

JFYI You can easily add new columns to the onevm list command. The
following patch adds a new DESCRIPTION column to the onevm list output:

https://gist.github.com/8f8499704cbee0e5db84

The onevm.yaml can be defined per user in $HOME/.one/onevm.yaml or globally
in /etc/one/cli/onevm.yaml

Cheers

> [...]
>> creation) you can simply added
>>         to the VM template as:
>>
>>         DESCRIPTION="this is a web server, use 1234 as root password"
>>
>>         This will be stored in the template ans can be queried with the
>> onevm show command or in
>>         the Template tab in Sunstone
>>
>>     As far as I understand that will work for a creation of a single VM
>> but won't if I need to
>>     create a bunch of VMs with help of 'onetemplate instantiate' command.
>>     Is there any way to modify certain deployed VM's config to add
>> arbitrary data like e.g.
>>     DESCRIPTION field (something like 'onevm update')?
>>     Moreover, in my opinion it's not convenient to parse the output of
>> 'onevm show' command when I
>>     need to get a list of all VMs e.g. what have a word "web" in its
>> description. It would be more
>>     convenient to have a separate column for that as I wrote before. But
>> probably to do that there
>>     is a need to modify DB schema which is not desirable I guess.
>>
>>     Regards,
>>     Nikolay.
>>

>>         Cheers
>>
>>         Ruben
>>

>>         On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM, <knawnd at gmail.com <mailto:
>> knawnd at gmail.com>
>>         <mailto:knawnd at gmail.com <mailto:knawnd at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>
>>             Dear list,
>>
>>             I wonder if there is any way to specify some text as a
>> description/comment for a
>>         certain VM in
>>             order to be able toquery such info later e.g. during 'onevm
>> list' command execution. I
>>         just
>>             don't want to get lost in all my VMs and which one is for
>> what.
>>             I would like to have something like
>>             $ onevm list
>>                 ID USER     GROUP    NAME            STAT UCPU UMEM HOST
>>             TIME           DESCRIPTION
>>                 11 oneadmin oneadmin one-11          runn 100 1G <host1>
>> 0d 02h07                   web-server
>>                 12 oneadmin oneadmin one-12          runn 1001G <host1>
>> 0d 02h03                   mail-server
>>                 13 oneadmin oneadmin one-13          runn    100  1G
>> <host2> 0d 00h17                      development server
>>

>>             Regards,
>>             Nikolay.
>>

>>         --         Ruben S. Montero, PhD
>>         Project co-Lead and Chief Architect
>>         OpenNebula - The Open Source Solution for Data Center
>> Virtualization
>>         www.OpenNebula.org <http://www.OpenNebula.org> <
>> http://www.OpenNebula.org> |
>>         rsmontero at opennebula.org <mailto:rsmontero at opennebula.**org<rsmontero at opennebula.org>
>> >
>>         <mailto:rsmontero at opennebula.**org <rsmontero at opennebula.org><mailto:
>> rsmontero at opennebula.**org <rsmontero at opennebula.org>>> | @OpenNebula
>>

>> --
>> Ruben S. Montero, PhD
>> Project co-Lead and Chief Architect
>> OpenNebula - The Open Source Solution for Data Center Virtualization

Daniel Molina
www.OpenNebula.org | dmolina at opennebula.org | @OpenNebula