[one-users] Lustre + qemu/kvm issue

Danny Sternkopf danny.sternkopf at csc.fi
Mon Oct 15 01:09:26 PDT 2012

Hi,

I wonder if there is anyone out there who has a working test or even
production environment using Lustre for VM disk images? It is always
mentioned when talking about shared storage and transfer managers in
OpenNebula, even in the quite recent survey from C12G.

I run into the Lustre Direct I/O problematic which requires the
application to read and write in 4K I/O chunks. qemu/kvm uses 512 byte
as I/O size and refuses to start the VM. In this case cache is "none".
If I change the cache to writethrough (default) then the VM stored on
Lustre can be started, but it has very poor write performance.
(100-times worse) I think Gluster has similar issues, but I didn't find
any hints for Lustre. Any comments?

Best regards,

Danny