[one-users] VM creation time with XEN images

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Oct 4 02:34:41 PDT 2012

Hi

I didn't try it myself, but there is support for qcow2 images using
the blktap interface. To use it, configure your hosts as in the KVM
scenario. Then you have to specify the driver:

1.- Either in the image template

DRIVER="tap:qcow2:"

2.- or in the DISK attribute in the VM template:

DISK = [ IMAGE="image_name", DRIVER="tap:qcow2:" ]

Cheers

Ruben

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Paulo A L Rego <pauloalr.alu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The use of qcow driver is really great for a KVM configuration. VMs are
> created really fast and live migration is possible.
> Now, for XEN configuration, which datastore system/driver do you recommend
> to achieve low creation time and be able to use live migration?
>
> I've tried file-system datastorage with ssh and shared driver, but it takes
> too long to create the VM once my images have about 20 GB.
> iSCSI/LVM can speed up things?
>
> The size of qcow KVM images and raw XEN images are quite different. How to
> improve that?
>
> Thanks a lot

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect