[one-users] persistent size of persistent images?

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Tue Nov 20 01:05:14 PST 2012

Hi

This is in fact a limitation. The image size is computed when it is first
registered in the datastore, but they are not updated when the images are
moved back to the datastore.

This can be solved by either using a better way to compute the image size
(e.g. qemu-img) or recomputing the size after saving back the image.

I've filled an issue for this [1]

http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1662

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

Ruben

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM, <knawnd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am using OpenNebula 3.8.1 with OpenVZ hypervisor support enabled. I
> noticed that the value of the corresponding persistent image parameter is
> not changed even if actual size of the file has changed.
>
> $ oneimage list|grep persistent
> ID USER GROUP      NAME            DATASTORE     SIZE TYPE PER STAT RVMS
> 4 oneadmin   oneadmin   test persistent default       172M OS   Yes used
>  1
>
> $ oneimage show 4|egrep "SOURCE|PATH|SIZE"
> SOURCE         : /var/lib/one/datastores/1/**
> 6900190977e9afc6d9290b8aef16f7**68
> PATH           : /var/lib/one/datastores/1/**
> 2b0ad99f99eaa99458769eb53951b6**85
> SIZE           : 172M
>
> The image with ID 4 was created as clone of the image with ID 1 by
> 'oneimage clone' command. The image with ID 1 has a size 172MB:
> $ oneimage show 1|egrep "SOURCE|PATH|SIZE"
> SOURCE         : /var/lib/one/datastores/1/**
> 2b0ad99f99eaa99458769eb53951b6**85
> PATH           : /tmp/sl-6-x86_64.tar.gz
> SIZE           : 172M
>
> and that corresponds to its real size on the file system:
> $ ll -h /var/lib/one/datastores/1/**2b0ad99f99eaa99458769eb53951b6**85
> -rw-rw---- 1 oneadmin oneadmin 172M Oct  3 17:51 /var/lib/one/datastores/1/
> **2b0ad99f99eaa99458769eb53951b6**85
>
> The real size of modified and saved persistent image with ID 4 has changed
> on FS:
> $ ll -h /var/lib/one/datastores/1/**6900190977e9afc6d9290b8aef16f7**68
> -rw-rw---- 1 oneadmin oneadmin 181M Nov 16 15:41 /var/lib/one/datastores/1/
> **6900190977e9afc6d9290b8aef16f7**68
>
> but 'oneimage list' and 'oneimage show' still show the same size equals to
> the size of initial image with ID 1:
> $ oneimage list|egrep "^   1|4"
>    1 oneadmin   oneadmin   SL 6.3 x86_64   default       172M OS No rdy
>   0
>    4 oneadmin   oneadmin   test persistent default       172M OS Yes used
>    1
>
> So I wonder if someone observes the same behavior and someone does then if
> it is bug?
>
> Regards,
> Nikolay.

Dr. Ruben Santiago Montero
Chief Technical Advisor & Co-Founder
C12G Labs, OpenNebula for the Enterprise
http://www.c12g.com | rsmontero at c12g.com | @C12G

Confidentiality Warning: The information contained in this e-mail and any
accompanying documents, unless otherwise expressly indicated, is
confidential and privileged, and is intended solely for the person and/or
entity to whom it is addressed (i.e. those identified in the "To" and "cc"
box). They are the property of C12G Labs S.L.. Unauthorized distribution,
review, use, disclosure, or copying of this communication, or any part
thereof, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at
abuse at c12g.com and delete the e-mail and attachments and any copy from your
system. C12G's thanks you for your cooperation.