[one-users] problems when run "qemu-kvm" under opennebula 3.6.0 installed under ubuntu 12.04 64 bits server OS, with kvm hypervisor

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Thu Nov 8 07:38:01 PST 2012

In ubuntu 12.04 the command qemu-kvm is called kvm and is located in
/usr/bin/kvm. That is the executable used to start VMs, user mode.
qemu-kvm is the name of the service, the one that loads kvm kernel
modules.

OpenNebula uses libvirt that call kvm command to start vm's but,
AFAIK, we don't mess with qemu-kvm service.

What is exactly your problem?

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Qiubo Su (David Su) <qiubosu at gmail.com> wrote:
> dear opennebula community,
>
> i installed everything for cloud system with opennebula 3.6.0 under ubuntu
> 12.04 64 bits server OS, the hypervisor is kvm, qemu and libvirtd, but when
> run "qemu-kvm" command, the returns shown as below:
>
> 1) when run "qemu-kvm" from terminal, it returns:
> qemu-kvm: command not found
>
> 2) when run "ls -l /etc/init.d/qemu-kvm", it returns
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Oct  4 13:44 /etc/init.d/qemu-kvm ->
> /lib/init/upstart-job
>
> 3) when run "/etc/init.d/qemu-kvm status', it returns:
> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
> utility, e.g. service qemu-kvm status
>
> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
> Upstart job, you may also use the status(8) utility, e.g. status qemu-kvm
> qemu-kvm start/running
>
> 4) when run "status /etc/init.d/qemu-kvm", it returns:
> status: Unknown job: ./qemu-kvm
>
> 5) but when run "service qemu-kvm status" or "status qemu-kvm" command, it
> ruturns:
> qemu-kvm start/running
>
> 6) however, when run kvm command it looks ok - a new terminal screen pop up
>
> it is much appreciated if anyone can help with why run "qemu-kvm" command
> doesn't work.
>
> thanks,
> david su

Javier Fontán Muiños