[one-users] SmartOS drivers

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Mon Nov 5 11:59:47 PST 2012

Hi Len

You may take a look to the VMM driver development guide:

http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:devel-vmm

Probably the best way to get started is to use the kvm or xen driver as an
starting point. You may:

1 Copy the /var/lib/one/remotes/vmm/kvm folder
to /var/lib/one/remotes/vmm/smartos and start working from there.

2 Add the driver to the oned.conf file

VM_MAD = [
    name       = "vmm_smartos",
    executable = "one_vmm_exec",
    arguments  = "-t 15 -r 0 smartos",
    default    = "vmm_exec/vmm_exec_kvm.conf",
    type       = "xml" ]

3 Any time you modify the driver you need to copy it to the hosts, so do
not forget to execute onehost sync

A couple of additional notes:

1 Actions are executed remotely on the target host, if you want to execute
them in the front-end use the -l option in configuration. There are
examples in oned.conf

2 The xml type will generate a XML file with the domain description as $1
for the deploy script. This is the real work for the driver, translate the
generic template in something specific to SmartOS

3 Initially you'll need to deploy the vms by hand, use onevm deploy. You
need also to get specific information from SmartOS with an Information
Driver, that can come as a second step.

Please keep us updated with your progress and don't hesitate to ask for
help.

Cheers

Ruben

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Len Weincier <len at cloudafrica.net> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I would like to try my hand at implementing drivers for SmartOS under
> opennebula. Does anyone have any pointers to where I could start looking on
> how to go about this ?
>
> Is anyone else looking this so that I dont duplicate efforts ?
>
> Thanks
> Len

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect