[one-users] ZFS datastore driver

Rogier Mars rogier at fortytwo.nl
Wed Nov 7 18:08:51 PST 2012

Hi,

I've created a first version of a datastore driver that support ZFS snapshots to enable instant cloning of a "golden" image. I've used the idea's from this blog: http://mperedim.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/opennebula-zfs-and-xen-%E2%80%93-part-2-instant-cloning/

The driver that is discussed in this article does not work with ONE 3.6 so I decided to update and rewrite it. I use this driver to allow instant cloning of large persistent images. I create a golden image, upload it to the datastore and create a "golden" snapshot. This golden snapshot is the basis for the clones that are created for this image. In my setup I use the ssh transfer driver to copy the images to the host after they are cloned. This also takes some time, but for performance reasons I prefer this above the shared driver. When the VM is stopped the image is transferred back to the ZFS server and stored in its own location.

I think this driver will also function with the shared transfer driver, enabling almost instant startup of VMs, even with large disks.

A few disclaimers:
- I don't use this driver in production yet, and I would not advice anyone to do this :)
- I'm not a developer, so please feel free to comment on my coding skills :)

More info and the tar with the zfs-datastore driver are available below:
http://rogierm.redbee.nl/blog/2012/11/08/opennebula-with-zfs-datastore/

Cheers,

Rogier