[one-users] Disks device mapping wrong in docs ?

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed May 23 07:26:00 PDT 2012

Hello Olivier,

short answer: the device mapping is unpredictable, as you said

long answer:

There are two different things here: how the hypervisor connects the drives
and presents them to the guest VM, and what the operating system of the
guest VM does with these drives (udev is the responsible for this for
linux).

We have control over how the hypervisor connects the drives. To do that we
used the sd{a,b,c,...} notation since its a common notation for
qemu-kvm/libvirt/xen and we figured it would make sense for people used to
hypervisors (However, I would personally prefer to do exactly as you said:
ide0, ide1, scsi0, scsi1, etc...) in any case this is mostly an issue that
should be taken up in the libvirt or kvm mailing lists. Although they're
unlikely to change it :-)

Once the vm starts we basically have no control as to where the operating
systems puts the drives. The use of LABEL= and UUID= in the guest vms helps
a lot, as you have already noticed.

For instance, in ubuntu, hdX is never used, always sdX. If you connect one
drive to the IDE bus  (ide0) and one drive to the SCSI bus (scsi0), you'll
have sda (scsi0) and sdb (ide0) which is rather unintuitive, at least for
me...

So I can only say that the best approach here is trial and error in a
per-hypervisor/per-vm basis.

cheers,
Jaime

Jaime Melis