[one-users] Initialization trouble

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Mon May 14 15:21:30 PDT 2012

On 05/14/2012 07:24 AM, Jaime Melis wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> as far as I can tell it may be happening that in onedsetup you're not
> leaving enough time to OpenNebula to fully bootstrap, thus failing the
> next time it starts. Can you increase the sleep at the end of the script?

Yes, looks like it was a timeout issue. Set it to 10 now and the issue
went away. :)  good catch.

Considering that the script is the one I had sent to this list a while
back when I setup OpenNebula on openSUSE 12.1 for systemd I should have
really caught this.

Oh well. Time for me to look at sending some patches as I noticed that
the .service files I had posted are also in the main source tree now.
How nice, and thanks for including those.

> However, I don't fully understand the purpose of this email, why should
> we trouble with running OpenNebula once before letting the user?

On the first run of oned the ONE_AUTH environment variable needs to be
set, subsequent start ups of oned do not need the environment variable.
Therefore, the idea is to let the script be executed with the
environment variable set and let oned do whatever magic it needs to do.

This allows the creation of a relatively simple .service file for systemd.

The dependence on the environment variable for the initial setup is
unfortunate. It would be nice if one could just supply a -auth argument
and point oned to the location of the authentication file instead.

But maybe I am not getting the whole authentication mechanism properly
as I have not spend a lot of time in trying to understand how this all
fits together.

Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei at suse.com