[one-users] problem with esxi and ONE

Michael Rebstock rusreb at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue May 15 01:23:18 PDT 2012

Hello ONE-Community,

these days I’m trying out Open Nebula 2.4 within our Organization. We’re
using ESXi 5.0.0 on our host systems.

There is major problem in using Open Nebula along with ESXi host systems:

In the installation guide for VMware driver (
<http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:evmwareg>
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:evmwareg) is written:

“Add oneadmin's front-end account public key (FE →
$HOME/.ssh/id_{rsa,dsa}.pub) to the ESX oneadmin account authorized_keys
(ESX → $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys).”

I did it as described and it worked fine until I rebooted the host system.
After that, the ssh connection from the front end to the host required a
password again. The problem is, that the ESXi host deletes all “not
original” files that were created since the last reboot.

There exists a workaround to make files consistent on ESXi but this leads to
loosing of guarantee and support from VMware which is no option for our
organization.

Is this problem already known? And does there exist any (other) solution on
this issue?

Best Regards

Michael