[one-users] virtual switching

Sean Abbott seabbott at akamai.com
Thu May 10 07:17:37 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm in a situation where I have 3 hosts, 3 "public" IPs, and no control
or access to the physical switches in my environment.

I have KVM virtual machines using the default libvirt NAT/IP
masquerading which works fine for accessing the internet, but falls
short as soon as a machine is instantiated on one of the nodes that is
not the master.  My VM ended up in an "unknown" state and I wasn't able
to recover.

My goal is to have all my virtual machines be able to communicate with
each other, and have a single virtual machine accessible from the
outside via a forwarded port.  Also, all virtual machines should be able
to reach the internet via IP masquerading.

Should this be working with the setup I have?  Or if not, is there a
setup that might be able to provide this for me, given the restrictions
I have?  open vswitch looks like it might work, but they concentrate
pretty heavily on using vlan tags and working with the physical
infrastructure, whereas I would just need to configure it to forward
messages to specific IP addresses somehow...

Thanks!

sean