[one-users] SaaS with opennebula cloud

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Fri Mar 30 03:23:05 PDT 2012

On 30 March 2012 07:46, biro lehel <lehel.biro at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would also be interested, too, on this question. Not precisely on the SaaS aspect, since I think I got the idea about that, but instead: is there any way for an end-user (NON-OpenNebula user) to "communicate" with / pass commands to OpenNebula (eventually by using a designated OpenNebula account, but at the same time not being aware of this)?

OpenNebula Self-Service is a simplified GUI aimed to end-users,
offering a simplified access to shared infrastructure for non-IT end
users.

The administrator will configure a set of instance_types that the
end-user will be able to select without taking care of the VM
configuration. The user can login to this portal and interact with his
resources.

The VirtualNetworks and Images can be exposed in three different ways:
1. The administrator creates the VNETs and Images through the one*
tools and distributes these resources in different instance_types. The
end-user will just have to select the desired instance_type

$ onevnet create occi_vnet
ID: 2
$ oneimage create occi_image
ID:3
$ cat $ONE_LOCATION/etc/occi_templates/new_occi_template.erb
CPU=1
MEMORY=1024
DISK=[IMAGE_ID=3]
NIC=[NETWORK_ID=2]
$ cat $ONE_LOCATION/etc/occi.conf
[...]
:instance_types:
  [...]
  :new_occi_template:
    :template: new_occi_template.erb
    :cpu: 1
    :memory: 1024

2. The administrator creates the VNETs and Images through the one*
tools and makes them available for the end-user. The end-user selects
which instance_type he wants to use and what image and network
throught the GUI interface.

$ onevnet create occi_vnet
ID: 2
$ oneimage create occi_image
ID:3
$ cat $ONE_LOCATION/etc/occi_templates/new_occi_template.erb
CPU=1
MEMORY=1024
$ cat $ONE_LOCATION/etc/occi.conf
[...]
:instance_types:
  [...]
  :new_occi_template:
    :template: new_occi_template.erb
    :cpu: 1
    :memory: 1024

3. The end-user is allowed to create VNETs (you can also define a base
template for this) and upload Images and can select them for a new
instance through the GUI interface

$ cat $ONE_LOCATION/etc/occi_templates/new_occi_template.erb
CPU=1
MEMORY=1024
DISK=[IMAGE_ID=3]
NIC=[NETWORK_ID=2]
$ cat $ONE_LOCATION/etc/occi.conf
[...]
:instance_types:
  [...]
  :new_occi_template:
    :template: new_occi_template.erb
    :cpu: 1
    :memory: 1024

If you want to enable VNC you have to add the following line to the templates:
GRAPHICS = [
  TYPE    = "vnc",
  LISTEN  = "0.0.0.0",
  PORT    = "5"]