[one-users] Distributed File System with OpenNebula

Giovanni Toraldo me at gionn.net
Thu Mar 22 15:36:04 PDT 2012

Hi Alexandre,

2012/3/22 Alexandre Fouchs <alexandrefouchs at gmail.com>:
> My concern is now how does it really work ? For example if I have 2
> hypervisors or more, would it be possible to access the same share space
> with something else than NFS ? And would it be seen as one unique system
> from a user point of view (with loadbalancing I assume) ?
> We would prefer not to use NFS but I haven't seen alternatives yet.

If you stick with ESXi, yes, you don't have many other choices.
Instead, with KVM and Xen, you can use every supported storage
technology usually available with a standard Linux system.

> Apparently DFS such as MooseFS exist but what I would like is to be able to
> connect Unix VM to it but also Windows VM, and MooseFS is Unix only from
> what I undestand.

You are missing that DFS are usually used as backend storage, so their
support is strictly depending on your hypervisor hosts and not on the
VM instances. In other words, you can use MooseFS to run both Linux
and Windows instances, but you need to use KVM/XEN hosts and not ESXi.

--
Giovanni Toraldo
http://gionn.net/about-me