[one-users] GRID-like functionalities with OpenNebula as a base? [Hadoop, or other possible solutions]

biro lehel lehel.biro at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 05:22:25 PDT 2012

---My first email didn't seem to reach the list (or it's just Yahoo playing with me...),
---so I copy it once again here. I hope it will work this time.

Dear
 all,

After having successfully set up a small-scale (but
up-and-running) experimental Private Cloud (using OpenSUSE 12.1 64bit
machines -also VM's-, KVM as hypervisor, and ONE 3.2.0), my next task is
 to find a way in which GRID-like services (see below) could be
implemented inside an OpenNebula-based Cloud. Basically, and
architecturally-speaking, I think I would need a PaaS layer above my
existing IaaS layer.

I am interested in the following tasks:

* job distribution among a set of dynamically created (or, as a start, fixed) VM's, initiated
 by a master-VM
* job execution on the worker-VM's and, more importantly, execution monitoring of these jobs by the master-VM
* results gathering on the master-VM

 have briefly looked though Hadoop, which uses MapReduce, but, having no
 experience with it, I am not sure whether if it is the best tool to use
 for such a use-case, and also, I don't know if it could be at all used
in my environment. So, my fundamental question is the following: which
is the best way to start on, a way that would lead to satisfying my
above-mentioned 3 necessities?
Is Hadoop perfectly compatible with
OpenNebula, and could be used for such purposes, or are there other and
more fitting solutions or tools to use? Basically, all I'm asking is, what is the most appropriate
 way for obtaining these basic GRID-computing functionalities on a Platform constructed above the Infrastructure?

Any suggestions, thoughts, and hints are extremely welcome, since this is a rather important and
 urgent matter for me.

Thank you,
Lehel.