[one-users] Shared File System HA

Hans-Joachim Ehlers HansJoachim.Ehlers at eumetsat.int
Fri Mar 16 01:41:25 PDT 2012

> ...GPFS ...
> apologies for hijacking the thread - is there a specific way to configure this filesystem to work with OpenNebula?
> how should we go about to enable this?

To more precise: We will use GPFS as the clustered FS for our KVM hosts. If OpenNebula works with it - fine. If not then OpenNebula is out.

Technical speaking:
3 IO Nodes will serving the GPFS . The KVM Hosts will have a GPFS client thus accessing the storage over the network but this approach is not limited to a GPFS client.

GPFS supports SAN Storage and local storage. You can scale your storage ( More disk ) and your Bandwidth ( More IO Nodes )

You can use NFS, CIFS or AppleTalk ( Do not remember the name for the apple fs )

SAN <-FC-> IO_NODEs <- ETH / GPFS -> KVM_NODES
Or
SAN <-FC-> IO_NODEs <- ETH / cNFS -> KVM_NODES  ( Standard NFS / Clusters NFS )
Or
SAN <-FC-> IO_NODEs <- ETH / pNFS -> KVM_NODES  ( parallel NFS )
Or
SAN <-FC-> IO_NODEs <- ETH / CIFS -> KVM_NODES  ( SAMBA )

To answer your question: Since ONE is not yet tested in our environment i can not tell. I would assume that ONE only needs to know whether a FS is shared one or a none shared one.

The setup of GPFS is a different issue.

BTW: Parallel NFS http://www.pnfs.com/  ( pNFS , NFS 4.1 ) is afaik available as well. Maybe there are OpenSource pNFS solution out there. IMHO its looks like a promising cluster FS as well.

Sorry for not being able to provide an better answer
Hajo