[one-users] Shared File System HA

Marshall Grillos mgrillos at optimalpath.com
Wed Mar 14 10:49:53 PDT 2012

In my design I'm looking at having the shared storage attached to the front-end server and provide full redundancy for both the front-end and the image repository.  This would then be shared to each compute node via NFS.

StorageArray1 ---DAS--->FrontEnd1---10gb Eth---->BladeChassis1

DRDB/Heartbeat/Pacemaker (between FrontEnd nodes)

StorageArray2 ---DAS--->FrontEnd2---10gb Eth----> BladeChassis1

I planned on setting up an active/passive cluster for two front-end servers.  These would have completely separate storage arrays (potentially in separate data centers).  Using DRBD (I'm open to other solutions if they provide faster failover) the image repository would be mirrored between the storage devices.  In the event of any hardware failure (NIC/Controller/Power etc) a full failover would occur from Frontend1 to Frontend2 propagating the cluster IP address.

With this setup, there would be a lag time for the heartbeat/pacemaker to detect the failover and the failover to occur (possibly upwards of 30 seconds).  What will happen to the running VMs when the failover is performed?  Is the computing node hypervisor "smart" enough to handle a several second NFS outage?

I'm definitely open to other solutions GlusterFS etc if they provide a smoother failover transition given my existing hardware configuration.

Thanks,
Marshall