[one-users] Distributed File System with OpenNebula

Alexandre Fouchs alexandrefouchs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:57:38 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I recently installed OpenNebula in a test environment for evaluation
purpose and got it working with a VMware ESXi5 hypervisor.

Right now I have 3 machines:

- the front end with OpenNebula installed
- the hypervisor with ESXi
- the storage, mounted both on the front end and on the hypervisor by using
NFS

My concern is now how does it really work ? For example if I have 2
hypervisors or more, would it be possible to access the same share space
with something else than NFS ? And would it be seen as one unique system
from a user point of view (with loadbalancing I assume) ?
We would prefer not to use NFS but I haven't seen alternatives yet.

My second concern is that I would also like that the VM deployed by the
OpenNebula front end to the hypervisor could access a Distributed File
System and store their data on it. Indeed I expect to have a lot of VM
machines running and I noticed that making a snapshot before stopping a VM
takes some time. With a DFS I would a have increased security, more
scalability and I could stop a VM directly since the data would be stored
elsewhere and so increase performances. However I didn't really found
something that fit my needs in the documentation or in the internet.
Apparently DFS such as MooseFS exist but what I would like is to be able to
connect Unix VM to it but also Windows VM, and MooseFS is Unix only from
what I undestand. My idea is actually to build something similar to Amazon
EBS, I know it's possible with Eucalyptus which I am also testing in the
meantime but I have no idea how to do it with OpenNebula right now and it
would be something we would really like to have.

Thanks,

--
Alexandre Fouchs