[one-users] GRID-like functionalities with OpenNebula as a base? [Hadoop, or other possible solutions]

biro lehel lehel.biro at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 09:24:42 PDT 2012

Dear all,

After having successfully set up a small-scale (but up-and-running) experimental Private Cloud (using OpenSUSE 12.1 64bit machines -also VM's-, KVM as hypervisor, and ONE 3.2.0), my next task is to find a way in which GRID-like services (see below) could be implemented inside an OpenNebula-based Cloud. Basically, and architecturally-speaking, I think I would need a PaaS layer above my existing IaaS layer.

I am interested in the following tasks:

* job distribution among a set of dynamically created (or, as a start, fixed) VM's, initiated by a master-VM
* job execution on the worker-VM's and, more importantly, execution monitoring of these jobs by the master-VM
* results gathering on the master-VM

I have briefly looked though Hadoop, which uses MapReduce, but, having no experience with it, I am not sure whether if it is the best tool to use for such a use-case, and also, I don't know if it could be at all used in my environment. So, my fundamental question is the following: which is the best way to start on, a way that would lead to satisfying my above-mentioned 3 necessities?
Is Hadoop perfectly compatible with OpenNebula, and could be used for such purposes, or are there other and more fitting solutions or tools to use? Basically, all I'm asking is, what is the most appropriate way for obtaining these basic GRID-computing functionalities on a Platform constructed above the Infrastructure?

Any suggestions, thoughts, and hints are extremely welcome, since this is a rather important and
 urgent matter for me.

Thank you,
Lehel.