[one-users] Creating a VM Image

Snyman, Adrian adrians at uj.ac.za
Fri Mar 9 01:34:27 PST 2012

Hi there,

I have been reading through the docs on how the vm's are created / deployed, and I must admit that I still can't quite get how it all fits together.

If I want to create a vm - what is the best way to do this ?
Ie: I have the CentOS 6.2 dvd image.

I would like to build a Linux "Base" image that will then get extended by a template to be a DNS or DB or WEB server.
I have used cobbler to do this on existing machine based installations with success, but I am trying to figure out how
To do this with a VM deployment.

When I create a filesystem, I use a raw image file. When trying a qcow type image - centos doesn't see any disk space.

Then, I build a VM through the virt-manager interface - but surely I can do this within OpenNebula ?

My apologies for sounding naïve- just trying to get to grips with all of this .. :)

Regards,
Adrian Snyman
Linux Systems Administrator
Tel: 011-559-4929