[one-users] NFS datastore performance during VM instantiation

Matt Willsher matt.willsher at boxuk.com
Fri Jun 15 03:43:58 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm currently working on Open Nebula using NFS as a shared data store. I've found that during the large copy done during instantiation all other VMs on the same node suffer storage performance issues and are unable to write to disk. In some circumstances this produces warnings in the VM's kernel due to time outs. I've been over the system configuration, tried different NFS options, sync, async, and others. Nfsiostat is showing avg exe times to be 40+ seconds during these large sequential writes.  There are no errors in either NFS or network stats and the NFS server is responsive when accessed from other clients.

My question is, has anyone else come across these sorts of performance issues  during VM instantiation when using NFS a shared datastore?

Thanks,
Matt