[one-users] Host failure - resubmit?

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Tue Jul 31 13:13:27 PDT 2012

Hi,

You are right, that is the intended behavior for non-persistent images. As
you describe, there may be some situation where this is not convenient.

The suggested procedure for this, VMs that are *not stateless* is to
perform the cloning prior to submissions,  this is:
1.- oneimage clone
2.- onevm create
This can be automatically perform with a script, that use as base
an existing template

In the medium term, we plan to implement snapshots (disk snapshots). When
this feature become available the recover hook will revert to the last
available snapshot of a VM...

When the VMs are in unknown state (that may be the case, if the host fail)
you can use restart. This will just  issue a boot operation (at the
hypervisor level). Note that this operation is performed in the *same*
host, so before using it you have to fix and boot the physical host. This
will prevent any image deletion from opennebula.

Cheers

Ruben

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Stefan Catargiu
<stefancatargiu at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Right now the suggested behavior for a host failure is pretty bad. In
> theory resubmitting is great, but what do you do when you are not using
> persistent images?
> When the VM is resubmitted, opennebula will actually delete the disk
> files, reclone them and then start the machine on a physical box, basically
> destroying the original VM.
>
> Is there a way around this behavior?
>
> My solution for this is something like :
> - executing the hook
> - touch a file in the datastore
> - delete script will check for the existence of that file and skip
> - clone script will check for the existence of that file and skip
> - delete that file
> - run machine
>
> This might be a solution but it is more or less a work around.
>
> Any other ideas? Any way of making my own "resubmit" command that will
> bypass delete and clone and just run deploy?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
>  Stefan Catargiu

Ruben S. Montero, PhD