[one-users] OpenNebula 3.2 + Xen 4.0 = headaches

Christopher Metter christopher.metter at informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Feb 17 04:50:40 PST 2012

Hi Florian,

thanks for answering.
Comments inline.

Am 15.02.2012 20:19, schrieb Florian Heigl:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> I also have a half-finished setup because I ran out of time (normal
> thing for me, not an opennebula issue)
>
> I have tried the following route:
>
> - Build one Opennebula master box (I think ubuntu 10.10 since 11.10
> has renamed packages and all kind of incompatibility probs) I had used
> a virtual machine for that and can advise against that since it makes
> the image sharing more complex
> - One KVM box, namely my desktop PC (Ubuntu 11.10 there)
> - Xen hosts all OracleVM 2 release (no OVM manager anywhere, just dom0s)
- Sorry, but I don't get what you are talking about

> The route for integration is:
> Make oned work (0.5d)
Check
> Make KVM box work (0.5d)
- Dont have KVM (yet?)
> Make sunstone work and deal with generic dependency hell crap (2d)
Check for sunstone
> Add Xen hosts (1d)
> Don't bother making the image transfer stuff work yet, be happy to
> have them in onehost list
Check - sunstone read correct host information
> Then continue at the KVM box until you are able to deploy an image
> there (including boot iso) (1d)
-see above
> Make novnc work for console access (1-2d, i didn't do it yet but could
> verify the VMs *were* being created.
novnc does already work for me
> and then simply apply the fixes to the Xen boxes (i.e. uncommenting
> stuff in oned.conf) (<1d)
Thats where I am stuck. I already deployed a working VM via Xen without
OpenNebula (via XEN CLI) .
But now getting a template from the OpenNebula frontend/cli running is a
different thing.

> After this one would look into vnets I guess.
>
> Was that any help for you?
> Let me stress again that you need to break down issues if you want to
> succeed.
At least it was some encouragement to continue working on Xen
integration. My backupplan is to drop Xen and switch to a KVM Cluster.

> Ubuntu or Debian is imho too crappy with Xen. They of course have
> working KVM out of the box, but (to put it in some people's faces) KVM
> is so darn slow when compared to Xen PV that I still consider it worth
> to waste so much time on Xen :)
Ajub, that's why im trying Xen, KVM is only the backup plan

> Since you're in germany we could even work together on irc/icq on the
> weekends to build our systems. Multi-tennant cloud anybody?
Working together sounds great, at least we would have a companion in
misfortune.
Both ICQ and IRC are supported ;)
Don't have favorite irc server, so I suggest using the OpenNebula Channel.

> Greetings,
> Florian

Greetings,
Christopher