[one-users] experiences with distributed FS?

Alberto Zuin - Liste liste at albertozuin.eu
Wed Feb 8 07:42:15 PST 2012

Hello,
I have an installation of OpenNebula 3.0 with Xen Hypervisor and a
storage with MooseFS.
The OpenNebula server is also the MooseFS master server; obviously we
have a second OpenNebula/MooseFS slave server configured with uCarp for HA.
At the moment we have 3 storage nodes, every server is equiped with 2x
2TB SATA disks  for a total of 11 TB disk space; we use a replica factor
of 2.
On OpenNebula side, we use shared storage driver; the VM disks are plain
files, Xen driver is "file:"
In past we used OpenNebula 2.2 with MooseFS driver for immediate
deployment via snapshot, but the driver wasn't updated to OpenNebula 3.0.

We are very happy with MooseFS: it's very easy and robust. The only
consideration is on disk side: SATA is a little slow expecially in write
operation, then we use a lot of RAM on each storage server (8 GB) to
cache data.

If you want, on my personal blog (http://www.azns.it) there are many
configuration examples of OpenNebula/MooseFS/uCarp. Sorry they are in
italian

Bye,
Alberto