[one-users] Self Service Portal and Predefined Disk images

Hector Sanjuan hsanjuan at opennebula.org
Mon Feb 13 02:34:40 PST 2012

Hello Graeme,

There is not way to do what you ask for. You should register the images in
the image repository so that users can select them from the list. With
OpenNebula 3.2 you can easily register and share images with different
users in the same group [1] or using ACLs [2] for more complex scenarios.
Letting end users specify server paths may pose a security risk as well...

Hope it helps,

Hector

Managing permissions: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.2:chmod
Managing ACLs: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.2:manage_acl

En Mon, 30 Jan 2012 05:39:45 +0100, Graeme Gillies
<graeme.r.gillies at gmail.com> escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently evaluating using the opennebula 3.2 self service portal
> to allow end users to create/start/run their own vms, but I noticed
> that at the moment the only way for a new user to create a new virtual
> disk image is to upload their own image via their browser.
>
> Currently on the command line we can get them to create a new virtual
> disk using a disk image template similar to something like
>
> NAME          = "gg-devel"
> PATH          = /var/lib/one/importimages/centos6blank.img
> PUBLIC        = NO
> DESCRIPTION   = "ggillies centos 6 devel vm"
> PERSISTENT    = YES
>
> Where /var/lib/one/importimages contains a bunch of different image
> files we have created for people to import/use.
>
> Is there a possibility that the self service portal could be altered
> so that either we could provide users the option of a filled in
> dropdown box of disk images from a defined directory to use, and also
> have the possibility to disable uploading disk images by the browser
> altogether (perhaps by turning off a plugin the yaml?). Perhaps even
> just an option to enter in a local path to use as the PATH element for
> the disk image might be sufficient if a populated drop down can't be
> made.
>
> I'm curious what other people think, or have done something similar.
>
> Regards,
>
> Graeme

Hector Sanjuan
OpenNebula Developer