[one-users] New contextualization packages

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Tue Dec 18 02:35:17 PST 2012

Thanks for the feedback, I think we can add some of those
modifications to future versions of the packages. Some commends
inline.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Gary S. Cuozzo <gary at isgsoftware.net> wrote:
> Thank you for these packages.  They work great and are an excellent base.  I used both deb & rpm.
>
> I customized them to add some features:
> * setting entries in /etc/hosts file

I also think this is very interesting, alongside hostname setting. Are
you setting the hole file or do you create that one programatically?
For example, automatically setting localhost plus eth0 hostname/ip and
adding some extra hosts.

> * modified for support of resolvconf package in ubuntu 12.04

We did not support resolvconf package for two reasons:
  * From the documentation it seems that resolvconf package use is
only encouraged for complex dns configurations. Editing
/etc/resolv.conf is still the way to go for normal dns configurations.
  * Using resolvconf package will make the scripts incompatible with
other distros and I wanted it to be as distro agnostic as possible

> * added HOSTNAME context variable
> * added DOMAINNAME variable
> * added optional ADMIN_USERNAME, ADMIN_PASSWORD, ADMIN_SSH_PUB_KEY to support creation of an admin account only if it doesn't already exist.

These parameters also seem very useful to me. Do you already have
scripts in place to do this?

> I find when I clone a VM, on the first boot, it still has some of the old "template" vm settings because the context happens too late in the boot process.  I plan to add a feature where the last context script will reboot the system if it was the first time booting.  This lets things like the hostname take effect.

I have been also thinking a lot about this. I decided to make the
scripts start at that time because we may use the contextualization to
start some services that need the machine to be fully configured. One
possible solution is having two set of configuration scripts, one that
starts early in the boot process (for network, hostname and such) and
another list for late configuration or service startup scripts. What
do you think about it?

Cheers

> Thanks again,
> gary