[one-users] Version 4.0 requests

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Wed Dec 5 09:12:59 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Simon Boulet <simon at nostalgeek.com> wrote:
>> Also there is one operation that I often use, "Force off" when a VM
>> freezes/blocks and ACPI doesn't work.
>>

> I think that could be implemented in the VMM driver. The driver could wait
> ex. 60 seconds for the VM to gracefully shutdown, and if the VM hasn't stop,
> issue a force shutdown / destroy. I don't think "Force off" should be
> implemented as a separate action in OpenNebula.

This feature is already implemented but maybe not well documented (or
not documented at all :( ). Cancel will destroy the machine, does not
matter its internal state. But for Shutdown you can configure the
driver to destroy the VM after a grace period [1]. In the remote
files, you have these parameters in kvmrc:

--8<------
# Seconds to wait after shutdown until timeout
export SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT=300

# Uncomment this line to force VM cancellation after shutdown timeout
#export FORCE_DESTROY=yes

# Uncomment this line to force VM's without ACPI enabled to be destroyed
# on shutdown
#CANCEL_NO_ACPI=yes

By default, after the timeout the command will fail, leaving the VM in
running state. If you activate FORCE_DESTROY then, after the timeout,
the VM will be killed.

CANCEL_NO_ACPI checks the template to get wether the VM has ACPI enabled or not.

[1] https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/blob/release-3.8.1/src/vmm_mad/remotes/kvm/kvmrc

--
Javier Fontán Muiños
www.OpenNebula.org | jfontan at opennebula.org | @OpenNebula