[one-users] deployment of certain vm's to different hosts

Gary S. Cuozzo gary at isgsoftware.net
Tue Dec 11 10:47:56 PST 2012

Hello,
We have certain vm's which are related and provide redundancy and/or failover to each other. Ideally, we'd like to avoid the situation where these vm's run on the same host machine. Is there a way to configure the scheduler so it would know to rule out a host if another related vm was already running there?

If there is no feature in ONE already, what I'm thinking is having an attribute that can be set in the vm template which could be used to group vm's together. Then, the scheduler can just check to see if a vm that is part of the same group(s) is already running and rule that host out if there is. It could also optionally override the attribute if it could not find a 'unique' host to deploy on (for example, multiple hosts are unavailable and there are not enough resource to deploy to unique hosts).

Please let me know if a feature already exists or if my idea is worth pursuing.

Cheers,
gary