[one-users] Very high unavailable service

Steven C Timm timm at fnal.gov
Sat Aug 25 18:27:10 PDT 2012

I run high-availability squid servers on virtual machines although not yet in OpenNebula.
It can be done with very high availability.
I am not familiar with Ubuntu Server 12.04 but if it has libvirt 0.9.7 or better, and you are
Using KVM hypervisor, you should be able to use the cpu-pinning and numa-aware features of libvirt to pin
each virtual machine to a given physical cpu.   That will beat the migration issue you are seeing now.
With Xen hypervisor you can (and should) also pin.
I think if you beat the cpu and memory pinning problem you will be OK.

However, you did not say what network topology you are using for your virtual machine, and what kind of virtual network drivers,
That is important too.    Also-is your squid cache mostly disk-resident or mostly RAM-resident?  If the former then the virtual disk drivers matter too, a lot.

Steve Timm