[one-users] platform recommendation

Hendrik Wißmann wissmann at gmx.de
Sun Aug 12 13:18:33 PDT 2012

On 11.08.2012 21:47, christopher barry wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 22:29 +0200, Hendrik Wißmann wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> my first opennebula installation on Centos-6 (and KVM) had the
>> disadvantage, that no data-volumes could be mounted. The second
>> try was a combination of debian and XEN with the result, that no
>> vm's could be started. What about ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS and XEN?
>> Does anybody have some experience running OpenNebula on ubuntu
>> and XEN as a host?
>>
>> Is there a platform recommendation, which I haven't found on project
>> websites. The ubuntu official documentation describes an opennebula
>> installation using KVM as a hypervisor. Which is the best platform to
>> choose? Or is there a way to mount additional persistent data-volumes
>> if KVM is used?
>>
> The data volume limit may actually be an IDE bus limit. Use SCSI, or
> ideally virtio instead in your VM configurations.

I had in mind, that kvm only supports IDE; my mistake.

> I don't think the issue is so much your choice of distro, but is likely
> just a configuration issue. You should use the distro you're most
> comfortable with.

My choice would be ubuntu or debian and the hypervisor xen.
This weekend I installed it the third time on different hardware but
the error is still the same:

Sun Aug 12 21:51:33 2012 [VMM][I]: Successfully execute network driver
operation: pre.
Sun Aug 12 21:51:33 2012 [VMM][I]: Command execution fail: cat << EOT |
/var/tmp/one/vmm/xen/deploy /var/lib/one//datastores/0/6/deployment.0
xentest 6 xentest
Sun Aug 12 21:51:33 2012 [VMM][I]: Error: Disk isn't accessible
Sun Aug 12 21:51:33 2012 [VMM][E]: Unable
Sun Aug 12 21:51:33 2012 [VMM][I]: ExitCode: 1
Sun Aug 12 21:51:33 2012 [VMM][I]: Failed to execute virtualization
driver operation: deploy.

This time the Xen-Host based on Ubuntu and the image is a PV Ubuntu,
which runs without any
problems on the host, if xm is used.

The image definition template contains:

NAME          = "Ubuntu"
PATH          = /data/images/ubuntu.img
TYPE          = OS
DESCRIPTION   = "Ubuntu Server 12.0.4"
DEV_PREFIX    = xvd

The virtual machine definition template contains:

NAME   = "Ubuntu Bootloader 12.0.4"
CPU    = 1
MEMORY = 512
OS = [
   bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
   ]

DISK   = [ IMAGE_ID  = 0
]

NIC    = [ NETWORK_ID = 1, WHITE_PORTS_TCP="22" ]

GRAPHICS=[
   LISTEN=0.0.0.0,
   TYPE=vnc ]

FEATURES=[ acpi="no" ]

CONTEXT = [
         hostname        = "VM$VMID",
         ip_public       = "$NIC[IP, NETWORK_ID = 1]",
         root_pubkey     = "id_rsa.pub",
         netmask         = "255.255.255.0",
         dns             = "$NETWORK[DNS, NETWORK_ID=1]",
         gateway         = "$NETWORK[GATEWAY, NETWORK_ID=1]",
         files           = "/var/lib/one/contextualization/init.sh
/var/lib/one/.ssh/id_rsa.pub"
]

I changed the following values in the file /etc/one/oned.conf

DEFAULT_DEVICE_PREFIX = "xvd"

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  XEN Information Driver Manager Configuration
#    -r number of retries when monitoring a host
#    -t number of threads, i.e. number of hosts monitored at the same time
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IM_MAD = [
     name       = "im_xen",
     executable = "one_im_ssh",
     arguments  = "xen" ]
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  XEN Virtualization Driver Manager Configuration
#    -r number of retries when monitoring a host
#    -t number of threads, i.e. number of hosts monitored at the same time
#    -l <actions[=command_name]> actions executed locally, command can be
#        overridden for each action.
#        Valid actions: deploy, shutdown, cancel, save, restore,
migrate, poll
#        An example: "-l migrate,poll=poll_ganglia,save"
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VM_MAD = [
     name       = "vmm_xen",
     executable = "one_vmm_exec",
     arguments  = "-t 15 -r 0 xen",
     default    = "vmm_exec/vmm_exec_xen.conf",
     type       = "xen" ]

The host was registered with

onehost create xentest --im im_xen --vm vmm_xen --net fw

Is there an error in my configuration. I read the documentation, but
I found no error.

Regards Hendrik