[one-users] iSCSI recipe

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Aug 10 14:37:47 PDT 2012

> 1.- Setup a System Datastore. As you plan to use iSCSI you are save

> > with the ssh system datastore [1]
>
> So, this is confusing me: <pg 40 of Setting up and Managing your Clo...>

Ups, my fault, you need shared to handle migrations properly.

> This seems to contradict your statement above.
>
> My 'assumptions' are these:
>
> * The system datastore needs to be shared. In order to have it appear on
> the hosts, I must manually export it on the frontend, mount it via nfs
> on the hosts. Symlinks are all that appear in the system datastore, and
> these point to block devices that have been attached to the hosts.

Right

> * Each host needs to attach to all iSCSI targets that are needed by
> guests running on the host. It's not entirely clear to me if ONE handles
> all that or not (assuming it does).

ONE handles this by login/logout in an iSCSI session as needed

> * a guest attaches to the symlink in the shared system datastore, but
> this link actually ends up pointing to a *local* iSCSI attached block
> device, so it does not become a 'bottleneck' to any IO traffic.

Well,  depending on the performance of your iSCSI server and networking,
number of VMs, traffic generated...

> Does any of that make sense, or am I way off base?

It makes sense, ;)

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect