[one-users] need advice about a use-case

christopher barry cbarry at rjmetrics.com
Fri Aug 31 11:35:18 PDT 2012

Greetings Nebulars

I'm re-posting this, as it didn't get an answer last time. I could use
some advise/guidance.

Here is the scenario I'm trying to create:

* I have a base OS image as a logical volume in an array.

* I want all guests to boot this same image read-only - no copies.

* the initramfs in the base image will mount the context iso to
determine it's own unique data/config disk - also a logical volume.

* this data/config volume is unioned with aufs read/write over the
readonly base image in the initramfs, so that they together form the
complete 'root' filesystem.

* all disks are served via iSCSI

Each data/config disk needs to be persistent, and belong to a unique
guest, but everyone shares the exact same read-only OS disk.

Can anyone speak to the best method of integrating this scenario with
ONE? I've tested this outside of ONE, but now I need to make it work in
ONE. Would I need a separate template for each machine? I've heard
mention of maybe needing to make the OS disk an ISO image, does anyone
know why that would be a requirement?

Regards,
-C