[one-users] 'monitoring' command in 3.6 - sunstone 100% CPU

Thomas Higdon thigdon at akamai.com
Tue Aug 7 12:42:22 PDT 2012

I noticed that sunstone was starting to use 100% CPU after awhile on my
new 3.6.0 install. It turns out the culprit was the 'monitoring' command
that I think sunstone uses to render its graphs is handing back a *lot*
of XML, over 3 MB in my case. This is probably a good deal more than
it would be a default install because I've got the polling interval
cranked to 10s.

That amount of XML is too much for the default XML parser to handle, and
it apparently pegs the CPU and freezes the application indefinitely.
Running

gem install xmlrpc-streaming nokogiri

causes sunstone to use a faster XML parser, which brings down the
execution time to 2-3 secs, which is acceptable(-ish) performance.
However, it seems like there should be some means of limitation on the
number of records that the 'monitoring' command returns, at least for
that instance. It's pegging some python XML parsing code I have, too.

3.6 looks great otherwise -- thanks for bringing in the qcow2 features!