[one-users] ping between VMs on different hosts ?

Valerio Schiavoni valerio.schiavoni at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 07:32:36 PDT 2012

Hello Jaime,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Jaime Melis <jmelis at opennebula.org> wrote:

> I think you have correctly configured the network. If you can't ssh into
> it's because there's something wrong with the contextualization.
> As Justin said, when preparing images the best way to go is to access the
> VM through VNC, until the contextualization works.

 Thanks to both for the explanation.

Regarding your question about network restrictions, consider that in the
> setup you have right now the VMs are taking real IPs from your network, as
> if they were physical hosts.

This is the only configuration that I could manage to get functional. I
could not find examples or tutorials explaining how to have the VMs to take
any IP (from the specified Virtual Network) and have those IPs reflected in
vnet interfaces as well as routing tables installed on the hosts
(otherwise, i don't see how the host could talk with a VM whose IP is
something it doesn't know).

> So all the conventional restrictions do apply: you can't assign the same
> IP to two different VMs.
>
> However, that's what network drivers are for: isolation. I suggest you use
> either open vSwitch or 802.1q:
> http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:nm
>
> If you enable either of those two options you will be able to use the same
> IP for different VMs.

So, if I understand correctly, if the hosts support ovSwitch, and I define
several virtual networks to use ovswitch with the same IP range but
different VLAN_ID, there won't any conflict, right? That sounds good to me.

best,
valerio