[one-users] ping between VMs on different hosts ?

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Tue Apr 24 07:19:49 PDT 2012

Hi Valerio,

If you're using virbr0, it means you're using the bridge created by
libvirt, which isn't the best approach.

Take a look at this document
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:plan#networking

Imagine your hosts are all connected through the eth0 interface (they all
have eth0 and they're all plugged in to the same switch). You have to
create a bridge (for instance br0) and attach eth0 to br0. Then, you need
to use br0 as your bridge in your network definition.

If eth0 used to have an ip, now you should set:
$ ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
$ ifconfig br0 <yourip>/<yournetmask> up

Of course you need to do this on your hosts, not in the frontend (unless
the frontend is also running VMs).

Also, you will need to contextualize your VMs so they get the IP OpenNebula
has assigned to them. I guess you already have this working, since your
email suggests your network configuration does work for VMs deployed on the
same host. However, to be on the safe side of things, take a look at this:
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:cong

cheers,
Jaime

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Valerio Schiavoni <
valerio.schiavoni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> i'm kind of stuck with the following situation.
> Two instances of the same VM are deployed on two of my hosts.
> The two VMs get a network address in the same network as the bridged
> interface virbr0, each one get its own address.
> The problem is that the two VMs do not see each other.
> If the two VMs are deployed over the same host, this would not be a
> problem, but that is not the general case.
>
> So, what is the standard approach to allow this kind of multi-host
> deployment of virtual-networks ?
> Is there something trivial that I am ignoring ?
>

> Thanks,
> Valerio

Jaime Melis
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org