[one-users] Upgrade 3.2 -> 3.4 with active VMs

Michael Kutzner michael.kutzner at virtion.de
Thu Apr 12 07:48:58 PDT 2012

Hello Carlos,

the mentioned way sounds reasonable and scriptable. I will do the upgrade in the next
days and keep you informed about success - I will send the steps done to the list.

Many thanx for your help,
  Michael

Am 12.04.2012 um 16:26 schrieb Carlos Martín Sánchez:

> Hi Michael,
>
> The reason why VMs have to be shut down is because the storage model has changed quite a bit in this last version, and we couldn't come up with a migration process that felt solid enough for any deployment.
>
> But, since you said you are ready for lots of manual work, let's try this:
>
> First, edit /usr/lib/one/ruby/onedb/3.3.0_to_3.3.80.rb and comment out lines 35 to 60 [1] to disable the VM status check.
> Then upgrade the opennebula DB with the onedb command [2]
>
> Before you start opennebula again, you need to adapt the previous VM storage directories to the new 3.4 hierarchy. Assuming you don't have VM_DIR nor DATASTORE_LOCATION defined in oned.conf, this is how the VM directories look in both versions:
>
> 3.2:
> /var/lib/one/<vm_id>/images/disk.i
> /var/lib/images/abcde
>
> 3.4:
> /var/lib/one/datastores/0/<vm_id>/disk.i
> /var/lib/one/datastores/1/abcde
>
> So what you need to do in the front-end *and each host* is to individually link each existing VM dir:
>
> ln -s /var/lib/one/<vm_id>/images /var/lib/one/datastores/0/<vm_id>
>
> Let me stress that this must be done in all the hosts.
>
> Please take into account that this is just the basic idea, and that *we haven't tested this*. You may run into problems depending on your infrastructure configuration. For instance, if you were using the tm_shared drivers, VMs containing persistent Images will have links like this one:
>
> /var/lib/one/7/images/disk.1 -> /var/lib/images/qwerty
>
> If you move the image files to their new destination in /var/lib/one/datastores/1, like the documentation says, you will break those VM disk links.
>

> Another problem that may be important to you is that VMs over which you executed saveas [3] won't be able to save the changes back to the locked Image once the VM is shut down. In the best scenario, you will find the files inside /var/lib/one/<vm_id>/images/, but I'm not sure about this, you may lose your changes...
> You can locate these VMs looking for VM/DISK/SAVE_AS, and the Images all have "-" as the value of IMAGE/SOURCE.
>

> As I said, this is not a tested or recommended procedure.
>

> Good luck,
> Carlos
>
> [1] http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/opennebula/repository/revisions/one-3.4/entry/src/onedb/3.3.0_to_3.3.80.rb
> [2] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:upgrade
> [3] http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel3.2:img_guide#save_changes
>
> --
> Carlos Martín, MSc
> Project Engineer
> OpenNebula - The Open-source Solution for Data Center Virtualization
> www.OpenNebula.org | cmartin at opennebula.org | @OpenNebula
>

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Michael Kutzner <michael.kutzner at virtion.de> wrote:
> Hello,

> [...]

Michael Kutzner                                                   virtion GmbH
Geschäftsführer/CEO                                               Boulevard 11
phone:  +49 521 - 448158-13                                    33613 Bielefeld
fax:    +49 521 - 448158-99
mobile: +49 151 - 15797488
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Fleck, Michael Kutzner, Holger Schemel
Handelsregister HRB 40374, Amtsgericht Bielefeld
USt-IdNr.: DE278312983