[one-users] Libvirt networkfilter firewall implementation for Opennebula

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed Apr 11 07:00:34 PDT 2012

Hello Jhon,

First of all congratulations for doing this, it's an absolutely amazing
contribution.  :-) It rocks!

We're in the process of defining the roadmap for OpenNebula 3.6 and we had
already thought of improving the network management, especifically the
management of a NIC's firewall while a VM is running (which I think it's a
rather nifty feature). I think this could fit in nicely with what you've
done.

Upon a first look on the rationale you have described in your email:
creating a specific resource in OpenNebula's core to handle network
filters, creating a CLI command, xml-rpc interfaces, sunstone tab, etc it
certainly makes a lot of sense to us to do it that way.

There is something that concerns us, though: if we implement this feature
only through libvirt, probably VMware won't have support and Xen will
certainly don't. But I think we can call a different action depending on
each hypervisor, maybe create a new VMM action to setup network filters. So
in the end, for KVM it will be done exactly how you've done, but we would
need to implement those actions for the rest of hypervisors. We have to
look into this, but I think it's feasible.

Anyways we're really interested in this feature!

Thanks again for your serious hacking and for sharing!

Cheers,
Jaime

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Jhon Masschelein <Jhon.Masschelein at sara.nl

Jaime Melis