[one-users] OpenNebula in GPFS environments

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Mon Apr 2 02:37:32 PDT 2012

Hello Andrei,

OpenNebula will seamlessly integrate with shared/distributed file systems.
Although the principle is the same for other versions of OpenNebula, I'll
discuss the configuration details for OpenNebula 3.4 (in beta state, final
release due next week) which features multiple datastores.

There are two datastores to consider: 1) the file-system image datastore,
where the image is stored when registered 2) and the system datastore,
where the image gets copied to when the VM is deployed. Either one of these
two datastores can be any distributed FS, like GPFS. Ideally, to speed up
deployment time, both datastores will be GPFS.

What this means in terms of configuration is that:

- /var/lib/one/datastores/0 (the system datastore) will be a GPFS export,
available under the same path in all the hosts and the frontend.
- The same for /var/lib/one/datastores/X, where X is the datastore id of
the file-system datastore.
- Both datastores should have TM_MAD = shared to work with GPFS.

More on this (guides in development).:
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:sm
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:fs_ds (especially the "Using the
Shared Transfer Driver" section)

Also, you can read two threads where shared/distributed filesystems have
been discussed:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.opennebula.org/msg05947.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.opennebula.org/msg05541.html

Cheers,