[one-users] OpenNebula 3.0b2 after onevm saveas VM gone

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Thu Sep 15 07:58:42 PDT 2011

Hello Valentin

I did not yet play around with ONE 3.x, but I guess this behavior
is the same as in 2.2.1.

On 15.09.2011 15:36, Valentin Bud wrote:
> # onevm saveas 5 0 debian-upd1
>
> I mention that I ran the above command while the Debian VM was on. As far as
> I understand from documentation this is not a problem but
> the contents of the image are only created after the VM is shutdown
> gracefully (using onevm shutdown). So I did just that.

> The problem. The Debian VM is gone, it is not listed anymore. onevm returns
> empty list. The Debian VM was the only
> one active. Is this normal behavior if you save the only disk the VM has?

This is normal behavior, see the "Virtual Machine Life-cycle" at
[1]. The only workaround I know is to recreate the VM with 'onevm
create <template>'. This will give an new VID for the VM. If you
want to boot it with the just freshly saved image, you need to
adjust your template so it will use the newly created image.

   [1] http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:vm_guide

As far as I have understood, if you want to have an VM which
should run (or exists) forever do not use 'onevm shutdown <vm_id>'
at any time, or you need to recreate the VM. Only use 'onevm stop
<vm_id>' and 'onevm resume <vm_id>', which will just pause the VM
(no processes are stopped inside the VM). Reboot or shutdown of
the OS in the VM is possible. With using shutdown inside the VM, I
had to recover (eg. boot again) the VM with waiting until 'onevm
list' (or 'onevm top') shows the state as "unkn" and then use
'onevm restart <vm_id>' to boot the VM again.

Hope this helps.

bye
Fabian