[one-users] Non clonable readonly shared OS image?

Ismael Farfán sulfurfff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:15:45 PDT 2011

2011/9/7 Roger Pau Monné:
> I don't think it's possible to launch an OS from a single image
> multiple times...

Actually I can, the problem is that the contextualization needs to modify
the hostname, interfaces, passwd, shadow... since many VMs do that
it corrupts the FS (actually, only those files, I think).

Mainly I was wondering why with readonly=yes the VM doesn't boot at
all, it fails before even calling kvm and I can't figure out why.

I'll try modifying fstab to mount / as readonly and set readonly=no in the
VM description file, maybe that'll work.

2011/9/7 Matthew Smith:
> Hi
>
> Have you tried doing this with a 'live CD' distribution image (which is by
> its nature normally a read only boot)?

I haven't. The idea is that my OS image works as a live CD since I need to
install some random stuff until it works as a virtual cluster.

> Back in the days when disks were small and very expensive, we used to have a
> small (200M) boot disk on each work station, and then NFS mount (read only)
> /usr and /usr/$ARCH (sun2, sun3, suni386 and sun4 on the network!), and a
> NFS read/write for /home and NIS for authentication..... perhaps something
> similar in the virtual environment?

Of course, /home will be a NFS mount : )

--
How do you create an operating system on Linux Ubuntu 9.10?